Anyway. I'm here today! And I've decided to link up with Emily of Chatting at the Sky for her monthly "What I Learned" series. Here is a (rather long) list of things I learned in August; some of them are silly, some are serious, some are useful, some are completely pointless. It's a smattering, really. (And some of these items also serve as a haphazard update on my life!)
Things I Learned In August
- I learned that there is such a thing as "violet liqueur" and it makes for a pretty, frothy, and delightful cocktail.
|"Tequila Daisy" from Carthay Circle Lounge at CA Adventure!|
(Joe's is some kind of fancy Manhattan.)
- I learned that StitchFix is dangerous and amazing and clearly I need a personal shopper for the rest of my life.
|Next Fix is coming in a couple weeks, and I'll do a better job|
sharing ALL of the items and my thoughts on them!
- I learned that Katy Perry's "Roar" and Sara Bareilles' "Brave" can be played simultaneously. (The YouTube version of this video got taken down, AND Vimeo won't let me embed it here -- LAME. So here's a screen cap sneak peek.)
- I learned that telling my husband what I'm feeling/thinking, though often difficult or painful, is so worthwhile because it gives him some frame of reference for my Crazy. (Go figure: things don't get resolved when my husband has no idea that I'm having issues because I haven't said anything about them.)
- I learned that I totally suck at spotting the sandwiches in Egyptian Ratscrew. And also, I have slow reflexes in general. (Click the image below to see an InstaVideo. I'm not actually playing in it, cuz I lost all my cards.)
|A "sandwich" in Ratscrew is when the first and third most |
recent cards are the same value (example: 4, K, 4 is a sandwich).
- I learned that there is such a thing as a ONE DOLLAR BOOKSTORE. Why is this not a part of my weekly routine? (Oh: cuz Santa Barbara hates "cheap.")
- I learned that sometimes Disneyland doesn't do such a great job at censoring their ride photos... (teehee)
|I suppose we did the family in front of us a favor; we saved|
them the temptation of spending money on a souvenir photo!
- I learned that the gift of tongues is not dead or irrelevant, and that its primary purpose is as a private prayer language to God. Highly recommend watching the sermon by clicking the image below!
- I learned that certain medications can make your poop turn freakishly reddish and your pee smell like Cheerios. (You're welcome for not including photographic evidence of this one.)
- I (re)learned how to use an open source video editing program, and in the process learned a little bit more about patience and clicking the save button every three seconds to avoid losing work when the program inevitably bugs out.
- I learned that you can use the drum of a washing machine as a bonfire pit.
|My small group leaders are geniuses, basically.|
- I learned that Gmail's new tabbed-organization Inbox is not so pointless/annoying/unproductive after all. (I still am nowhere NEAR being an organized or efficient email user.)
- I learned that there is such a thing as Way Too Many Trader Joe's Powerberries. (This is me with a terrible stomach ache the other night after I ate like...an entire bag.)
|"Blergh...how can something so delicious make me feel so yucky?"|
- I learned the words veracious (truthful; honest) and xerophilous (living or flourishing in a dry environment), along with some others, which I used to describe myself in this A to Z vlog:
- I learned that shampooing carpets is Hard Work, especially when they haven't been deep-cleaned in like eight years.
|So grateful that my brother-in-law let us borrow his awesome|
shampooer, though! Hooray for clean carpet.
- I learned that it is possible to wakeboard in the desert…kinda (click photo to see the InstaVideo). Wish I had been there in person to experience the ridiculous flash floods!
|Stole this video from my friend Brittany.|
- I learned that my desire to have kids can actually be sinful when it becomes MORE important than obeying and trusting in Christ.
- I learned that Miley Cyrus is a giraffe. (Don't worry, that's all the commentary I will be making on this topic.)
|Someone posted this on Facebook and I just about DIED laughing.|
- I learned that Santa Barbara's annual Fiesta week is actually quite enjoyable and not something I have to hide away from every year like I did the first five summers I lived here. (Whoa, WHAT?! This is my SIXTH SUMMER in Santa Barbara?? How is that even possible.) I also learned that confetti is almost as hard to get rid of as glitter.
|Michelle, my soulmate neighbor, unknowingly ordered the|
HUGEST cocktail on the menu at American Ale!
|Confetti! It's hard to see, but that's what I'm excited about.|
It's in my hair and all over my shirt (and all up in my bra).
|Night-time walks on the beach after an amazing First Fiesta!|
- I learned that Google Plus Hangouts have fun features like facial hair and tiaras you can "wear" on the screen!
|So silly, and so very entertaining. (Try the "random" option!)|