Sunday, October 13, 2013

Heft

I'm posting every day in October for The Nester's #31Days link-up. Click here to see all of my posts in this series.


A book should have an intellectual shape and a heft that comes with dealing with a primary subject.

-William Safire


This feels like a good time to tell you some of what I've been reading lately...

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

I don't even know what to say about this book, except, READ IT.  It's really fun!  Basically, it's about a guy who gets a job as a clerk at a weird bookstore that is literally open 24 hours a day.  He discovers some eerie secrets and gets all wrapped up in them and if I say more it might give something away!


The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Apparently JK Rowling wanted to debut a new series under a pseudonym so people wouldn't expect the next Harry Potter, and the word got out sooner than she anticipated.  But anyway, I don't think I would've ever guessed this was written by her if I'd read it without knowing ahead of time.  It's a great story, and I hope "he" continues the series!

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

I couldn't NOT read this one, what with everyone and their mother raving about it.  And there's a reason for all the hype: it's hilarious, heart-warming, ridiculous and relatable all at once. 

Burned (#12 in the Pretty Little Liars series) by Sara Shepard

Keepin' it real.  I read some pretty stupid stuff sometimes, but I got totally sucked into this series (both the books and the even more ridiculous TV show), and I can't resist seeing it through to the end.  (Dear Sara Shepard: IT BETTER END.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I try to reply to all comments within the post itself so we can keep the conversation going.