Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thirty Before 30

I've been thinking about this post for a few years, but always put it off because: a) 30 seemed pretty far away when I was 24; b) I don't like it when I make a list and don't follow through with every single item; and c) I was pretty much just being lazy.

But I think it's time to accept that 30 is really NOT that far away anymore, and realize that although I may not finish every item on a list, it's having a list that helps me get more things accomplished than just letting ideas swim around in my head. So, without further ado and in no particular order, here it is. (Also, if you were a reader of my former blog, some of these may be familiar because I stole them from my abandoned 101 in 1001 list.)

Thirty Before 30

  1. Read the entire Bible.
    I want to add "in a year," but let's just see if I can manage to finish it in the next 2 1/2 years.
  2. Go skydiving.
    This is something I've been meaning to do for awhile. It WILL happen.
  3. Crochet a blanket with an actual pattern and more than one color. (02-26-13: Done!)
    Made this for little Ezra, my nephew who arrived on February 26, 2013!
  4. Memorize the book of Philippians 1 Thessalonians (HCSB).
    I've always wanted to memorize an entire book of the Bible, and I like the challenge of doing it in a version I'm less familiar with. Update Oct 2014 - Decided to go for 1 Thessalonians since it's part of the study I'm doing right now!
  5. Grow my hair out my natural color. (10-27-14: Gonna call this done, even though I did add some super subtle highlights this summer.)
    Basically this one should be easy; I just have to resist the urge to dye/bleach it.
  6. Run another 10K or 15K and consider a half marathon. (03-26-13: Done!)
    I ran the Old Agoura 10K and am hoping to tackle the Semana Nautica 15K on 4th of July this year...
    I don't want to insist on a half because it really depends how good I can get at the shorter races.
  7. Learn to drive stick-shift.
    It's gotta happen one of these days.
  8. Read Pride and Prejudice. (In progress!)
    Seriously, I don't know why I haven't done this yet.
  9. Hold a plank for 90 seconds. (In progress -- I can do 1 minute pretty consistently; working up to 90 seconds!)
    In proper form and all! Probably I should also get this on video as proof.
  10. Go to a concert with Joe. (06-29-13: Done! FishFest in Irvine)
    Seriously can't believe this hasn't happened already.
  11. Successfully cook one Thanksgiving turkey.
    It's okay if I have help/supervision, but I want to feel like I actually accomplished this one.
  12. Make a lemon meringue pie from scratch.
    I figure since it's my favorite dessert EVER, I should probably learn how to make it myself.
  13. See the Butterfly Preserve in peak season. (12-31-12: Done!)
    Considering my love of butterflies, it's a wonder I haven't already attacked this one.
  14. Advance at least three belt levels in karate (yellow, orange, purple). (On hold since we aren't going to martial arts anymore.)
    This will depend on whether I EVER master a spinning crescent kick. So far it just isn't happening. :-P
  15. Get pretty good at swing dancing with Joe.
    And by "pretty good" I mean, be able to follow him and not trip all over myself.
  16. Try surfing at least once. (05-16-14: Done!)
    I do live in a beach town, after all.
  17. Go on a hot air balloon ride.
    This one has been on my list since I first learned to SAY "hot air balloon!"
  18. Find an older Christian woman to be my mentor.
    Like, on a regular basis.
  19. Beat Portal and Portal 2.
    Because it's possibly the only computer game I will ever not be terrified of playing. And it's like a puzzle!
  20. Carve a pumpkin.
    This is on my mind because it's the fall season, but I had to add it because I realized I've NEVER carved a pumpkin!
  21. Go whale-watching with Joe. (07-07-13: Done!)
    We were supposed to do this with a Groupon deal but it expired. Wah, wah.
  22. Do 30 push-ups. (In progress.  I think I can do about 10 right now - May 2014.)
    Again, proper form and on video if possible.
  23. Complete a cross-stitched piece (with an existing pattern).
    My mom and I used to cross-stitch together and I miss it! Think it'd be fun to pick up again.
  24. Become an early riser.
    At the very least, learn to QUIT the snooze button. Ideally, be up early enough for morning workouts/runs at least a few days a week.
  25. Plan a really awesome and memorable five-year anniversary trip/outing. (08-08-14: Done - Ojai! I mean, I guess maybe it wasn't "epic" but it was lovely all the same.)
    The elaborateness will depend on whether we have kids by then or not, but it'll be EPIC no matter what.
  26. Write a poem. (10-02-13: Done.)
    Mainly just to get my creative juices flowing, but also to see if I still have a knack for it. (Our yearly Christmas poem doesn't count toward this.)
  27. Go ice skating outdoors. (12-13-14: Done! Union Square in San Francisco)
    Again, something I've always wanted to do. Doesn't have to be on an actual frozen lake (in fact, eek! I'd rather it be man-made).
  28. Learn to tie a tie.
    I feel like it's something I should know as a wife (even though Joe wears ties like once every six months, if that).
  29. Wear a sequined dress to a party.
    Because after 30, it may not be so pretty. (Kidding, kinda.)
  30. Make a homemade cheesecake. (09-09-14: Done, maybe?  I made mini pumpkin cheesecakes, does that count? Still wanna try to make a full size one.)
    Supposedly it's easy. I'll be the judge of that.


10 comments:

  1. This is a great list! Though the hot air balloon and sky diving items thoroughly freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha -- me too! But I still REALLY wanna do them. :) Come to CA and do it with me!

      Delete
  2. With all the activities you guys do, I'm kinda surprised you haven't done a concert, either!

    I went on a hot air balloon ride when I was 15, and we were vacationing in Utah. It was so expensive that my parents decided to just let me go by myself and have all the fun :-) Definitely take lots of pictures while you're up in the air!

    #15 is one of my eventual goals, as well. Right now I feel like I'm taking baby steps with the comparatively easy two-step, but ballroom/swing is something Allan would actually be interested in, so that would be fun to do together for once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We just realized the other day that we've never been to a concert -- not a "big" one, anyway. We've been to one or two shows at SoHo but I wanna see like, Newsboys or something.

      My mom went on a tethered hot air balloon once and said it was terrifying enough even being tied to the ground! :-P

      Delete
  3. Lots of great goals. What kind of concert do you want to go to? I've heard Transiberian Orchestra is a fun one and there are a couple of southern California concerts coming up in late November (but it looks really expensive).

    I'm curious...do you know how many of your 101 things you completed? You had some great goals on that list, too. You made me think about doing a 60 things to do before I turn 60 list, but that might be too much even with six years to go.

    Have fun with your new list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a Christian rock-type concert would be really fun! But I'm open.

      I think I finished about 25 of them and was in progress on another 25-30. Pretty lame! I think you should TOTALLY do a 60 before 60 list! Not every item has to be a giant task/accomplishment. I googled "life list" and "bucket list" and found TONS of ideas to inspire my list.

      Delete
  4. Want to go surfing with me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the list! I'd love to do a run with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, you have to read Pride and Prejudice. It's soooo good. (better than the movies, although the one with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy was pretty awesome)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I try to reply to all comments within the post itself so we can keep the conversation going.