But I think it's time to accept that 30 is really NOT that far away anymore, and realize that although I may not finish every item on a list, it's having a list that helps me get more things accomplished than just letting ideas swim around in my head. So, without further ado and in no particular order, here it is. (Also, if you were a reader of my former blog, some of these may be familiar because I stole them from my abandoned 101 in 1001 list.)
Thirty Before 30
- Read the entire Bible.
I want to add "in a year," but let's just see if I can manage to finish it in the next 2 1/2 years.
- Go skydiving.
This is something I've been meaning to do for awhile. It WILL happen.
- Crochet a blanket with an actual pattern and more than one color. (02-26-13: Done!)
Made this for little Ezra, my nephew who arrived on February 26, 2013!
- Memorize the book of
Philippians1 Thessalonians (HCSB).
I've always wanted to memorize an entire book of the Bible, and I like the challenge of doing it in a version I'm less familiar with. Update Oct 2014 - Decided to go for 1 Thessalonians since it's part of the study I'm doing right now!
- Grow my hair out my natural color. (10-27-14: Gonna call this done, even though I did add some super subtle highlights this summer.)
Basically this one should be easy; I just have to resist the urge to dye/bleach it.
- Run another 10K or 15K and consider a half marathon. (03-26-13: Done!)
I ran the Old Agoura 10K and am hoping to tackle the Semana Nautica 15K on 4th of July this year...
I don't want to insist on a half because it really depends how good I can get at the shorter races.
- Learn to drive stick-shift.
It's gotta happen one of these days.
- Read Pride and Prejudice. (In progress!)
Seriously, I don't know why I haven't done this yet.
- Hold a plank for 90 seconds. (In progress -- I can do 1 minute pretty consistently; working up to 90 seconds!)
In proper form and all! Probably I should also get this on video as proof.
- Go to a concert with Joe. (06-29-13: Done! FishFest in Irvine)
Seriously can't believe this hasn't happened already.
- Successfully cook one Thanksgiving turkey.
It's okay if I have help/supervision, but I want to feel like I actually accomplished this one.
- Make a lemon meringue pie from scratch.
I figure since it's my favorite dessert EVER, I should probably learn how to make it myself.
- See the Butterfly Preserve in peak season. (12-31-12: Done!)
Considering my love of butterflies, it's a wonder I haven't already attacked this one.
- Advance at least three belt levels in karate (yellow, orange, purple). (On hold since we aren't going to martial arts anymore.)
This will depend on whether I EVER master a spinning crescent kick. So far it just isn't happening. :-P
- Get pretty good at swing dancing with Joe.
And by "pretty good" I mean, be able to follow him and not trip all over myself.
- Try surfing at least once. (05-16-14: Done!)
I do live in a beach town, after all.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride.
This one has been on my list since I first learned to SAY "hot air balloon!"
- Find an older Christian woman to be my mentor.
Like, on a regular basis.
- Beat Portal and Portal 2.
Because it's possibly the only computer game I will ever not be terrified of playing. And it's like a puzzle!
- Carve a pumpkin.
This is on my mind because it's the fall season, but I had to add it because I realized I've NEVER carved a pumpkin!
- Go whale-watching with Joe. (07-07-13: Done!)
We were supposed to do this with a Groupon deal but it expired. Wah, wah.
- Do 30 push-ups. (In progress. I think I can do about 10 right now - May 2014.)
Again, proper form and on video if possible.
- Complete a cross-stitched piece (with an existing pattern).
My mom and I used to cross-stitch together and I miss it! Think it'd be fun to pick up again.
- Become an early riser.
At the very least, learn to QUIT the snooze button. Ideally, be up early enough for morning workouts/runs at least a few days a week.
- Plan a really awesome and memorable five-year anniversary trip/outing. (08-08-14: Done - Ojai! I mean, I guess maybe it wasn't "epic" but it was lovely all the same.)
The elaborateness will depend on whether we have kids by then or not, but it'll be EPIC no matter what.
- Write a poem. (10-02-13: Done.)
Mainly just to get my creative juices flowing, but also to see if I still have a knack for it. (Our yearly Christmas poem doesn't count toward this.)
- Go ice skating outdoors. (12-13-14: Done! Union Square in San Francisco)
Again, something I've always wanted to do. Doesn't have to be on an actual frozen lake (in fact, eek! I'd rather it be man-made).
- Learn to tie a tie.
I feel like it's something I should know as a wife (even though Joe wears ties like once every six months, if that).
- Wear a sequined dress to a party.
Because after 30, it may not be so pretty. (Kidding, kinda.)
- Make a homemade cheesecake. (09-09-14: Done, maybe? I made mini pumpkin cheesecakes, does that count? Still wanna try to make a full size one.)
Supposedly it's easy. I'll be the judge of that.