Friday, October 11, 2013

Substance

I'm posting every day in October for The Nester's #31Days link-up. Click here to see all of my posts in this series.


Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow.

-Aesop


Apparently this quote is the moral of a lesser-known (at least to me) one of Aesop's fables - "the dog and his shadow."  In the fable, a dog gets himself a piece of meat and as he's crossing a river, he sees his reflection (or shadow) in the water.  He thinks it's another dog, with another piece of meat, and he greedily decides he wants that dog's meat, too.  So he snaps at the reflection, and as he opens his mouth the meat falls into the river.

I would expound on this with some clever or insightful story, but this has been a particularly exhausting day and I need some sleep.  Maybe I'll update this post someday soon when I have more energy or inspiration.

#weaksauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I try to reply to all comments within the post itself so we can keep the conversation going.